Sunday 4 November 2007

Taipan chinese restaurant

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but well, y'know I've been busy with this and that and just haven't had the time... okay, you got me, I've just been a bit lazy of late so just to make it up to you, here is the first of two posts for today.

Before I get started, I just want to apologise for the quality of the photographs, but they were taken on my camera phone, which although good in a light outdoor setting tends to be a bit rubbish indoors!

Last Friday we decided to go out for dinner as we'd just been paid and had been living like monks for the last month due to the crushing poverty, so on the spur of the moment we booked a table at Taipan in the Theatre district. When I say 'Theatre district' what I really mean is the quarter square mile of central Milton Keynes that contains a range of chain restaurants and bars (T.G.I Fridays, Slug and Lettuce and the like) and also happens to have a theatre. It seems to be the favoured weekend drinking location for MK types as there are also a couple of nightclubs there.

We'd been to Taipan before and had been fairly impressed by the food which, having grown up in Hong Kong is not a compliment I bestow very often on a Chinese restaurant, so we thought we'd go back as it's been a while since we last visited.

Taipan Chinese restaurant

The décor is pretty minimal for a Chinese restaurant, but I like it. Gone is the usual flock wallpaper to be replaced by white painted walls. Large Chinese banner-shaped artworks adorn the back wall flowing down from the one and a half storey high ceiling and light fittings that look like a modern take on the traditional Chinese paper lantern help to keep the whole restaurant bright and airy.

Mmm... Chinese food

We ordered Cantonese style roast duck, a chinese mushroom, crispy pork and eel hot pot and a side dish of pak choi with oyster sauce accompanied by plain boiled rice and washed down with Chinese tea. The duck was beautifully cooked being succulent, but not too fatty and full of flavour. The hot pot was really tasty, but not being much of an eel lover, I left most of that for my husband. It's kind of an acquired taste I suppose, but I just find it overly fatty. The one fault I found with the food here is that there's probably a bit too much MSG (monosodium glutamate - a flavour enhancer used in Chinese cooking in place of salt), as by the time we were three-quarters of the way through our meal, I was beginning to get tastebud fatigue. Still, it all makes for a really tasty meal and we even ended up taking some of it home for dinner the next day. I can't wait to go back there to try out their dim sum!

Taipan, Milton Keynes

No comments: